Welcome, Guest!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.
TWICE's Pet Gerbil

[JEONGYEONIST/POLL] Jeongyeon or Jungyeon?

The most trivial poll ever created  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which spelling?

• Jungyeon
    • Jeongyeon

This is the pedantic side of me coming out, but how do you really think Jeongyeon's name should be spelled? It has bugged me since day 1 that there are two different ways her name is romanised. I believe she's the only member for which this is the case. The reality is of course that the correct way to spell her name is "정연" and the way you romanise it (i.e. spell it in the Latin alphabet) doesn't really matter as long as it roughly corresponds to how the words are pronounced.

Personally, however, I always felt "Jeongyeon" was more correct, based on how I heard the pronunciation. To me, "Jung" and "Jeong" suggest rather different sounds, comparable to "lung" vs "long". However, I was unaware until recently that the "정" in her name is actually the same as the common Korean family name, as in Jessica Jung, for example. I had always thought Jeong and Jung were two different names, pronounced differently, but it turns out they're not (and I've been saying Jessica's name wrong all these years...); they're just different spellings of the same name. But to my knowledge, people with this name always tend to stick to one spelling or the other for whatever reason, whereas there doesn't seem to be this sort of consensus for Jeongyeon. Throw in the fact that even on this forum, the tags are spelled "Jungyeon" but her official thread is spelled "Jeongyeon", and I just had to put this to a poll.

What do you think? The time has come to decide the true spelling of "정". :jy-wut:

I'm for Jeongyeon. I think Jeongyeon always sounds better than JUNGyeon, like you, I always thought Jeong and Jung were two different names and pronounced differently.:ny-yes:

Well, "Jeongyeon" is surely better because "Jungyeon" is not the same sound, and it doesn't really make sense... I mean, if we go that way her name would be romanized "Jungyun"

• Upvote 1

This all may seem trivial, but it does have wider linguistic implications. So far, everyone has voted for "Jeongyeon". If the general consensus is that this way is better, it begs the question of why there is still ambiguity in the way  "정" is romanised in Korean names. Why not just use one way? :ny-wut:

On 18/11/2017 at 8:11 AM, JeongyeonIsMyWaifu said:

Well, "Jeongyeon" is surely better because "Jungyeon" is not the same sound, and it doesn't really make sense... I mean, if we go that way her name would be romanized "Jungyun"

Exactly! It's logically inconsistent. :jy-stress:

On 27/11/2017 at 1:54 PM, forever9diadem said:

Its romanized as Jeongyeon, but if spoken soudns a lot closer to jungyeon than jeongyeon

I think to an extent it depends on opinion.

졍 = jeong 

but pronunciation wise its jung because jeong is too much of a hastle to say it out everytime

i guess its a matter of perspective , as long as we all know how amazing jeongyeon/jungyeon is :jy-cute:

1 hour ago, jpuff said:

졍 = jeong 

but pronunciation wise its jung because jeong is too much of a hastle to say it out everytime

i guess its a matter of perspective , as long as we all know how amazing jeongyeon/jungyeon is :jy-cute:

정* to be precise its jeong its just that some people are thats not familiar with korean will be easier to say jung instead.

2 hours ago, <3TzuNaMi said:

정* to be precise its jeong its just that some people are thats not familiar with korean will be easier to say jung instead.

ooo haha my bad yea ,, its just when you pronouce it has that yeong ya know hehe :jy-cute:

I’m all for ‘Jeongyeon’, not only because it looks nicer but also since it’s the more theoretically correct spelling

We can take the same principle in 정 for 연 and it’d come up ‘Jungyun’, which is admittedly kind of cute but is spoken way weirder than what we know as Jeongyeon

:ny-hmm:

9 hours ago, ryuzjh said:

I’m all for ‘Jeongyeon’, not only because it looks nicer but also since it’s the more theoretically correct spelling

:ty-hey:

Jeongyeon because Jungyeon has bothered me, even before I knew who she was:jy-eww: