Welcome, Guest!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Alex97

[TZUYUIST] Tzuyu's Name Pronounciation

Tell me Honestly.... HONESTLY..

How did you pronounce Tzuyu's name when you first saw/read it? Cause I'm pretty sure I failed hard.

I pronounced it as 'TZU - YOU' (My friends were even making fun of me saying that it sounds like 'Toyo' (soy sauce in tagalog) lol)

Don't get me wrong, I know how to read hangul, I was just doubting myself cause the English romanization is different from it's Hangul form.

In a few hours, I started pronouncing it as 'Chewy' and another few more hours finally! 'Jjeuwi'

It was such an adventure just trying to learn how to pronounce a name.

And then I heard someone say about Tzuyu's Pinyin and how you actually read it.. then I got confused again OTL

Then I found this on OH:

Taiwanese: Pronounced Zu-yu

Chinese Characters/Mandarin: Pronounced Zi-yu

Hangul: Pronounced like Joo - Hee

Apparently... Chewy/Joohee is her nickname... wow... -a moment o realization-

• Upvote 7

I always pronounced her name as 'Joo-hee' cos that was how she introduced herself in videos and stuff HAHA thanks for all this info though Alex, I never knew LOL

lol, at first i pronounced it the same you did 'TZU - YOU' haha. but if they're so many pronounciations, what's the right way? also joohee in korean means chewy, right? (lol idk any korean at all)

Actually Chewy is not Tzuyu's best nickname... Toyo is.

*waits for someone to edit a pic of Tzuyu into a pic of a soy sauce bottle*

• Upvote 1

It's kinda weird how different the Korean version is to her actual Chinese name LOL
In Korean it's like "ju-wee" but the 'w' sound just isn't really pronounced, whereas in Mandarin it's like "zi-yu" and in Taiwanese "tzu-you" (basically the same way it's romanised).
I can't vouch entirely for the Taiwanese pronunciation tho since I'm not familiar with it //__\\ but anyway I just say it most like the way the Hangul spells it out since it's what I hear the most often.

Awards

I was really curious about something, and found this:

Her name 周子瑜 is actually the exact same thing as the name of the general and strategist 周瑜 in the Three Kingdoms Period. A "子" (meaning child) is added to the middle, making Tzuyu a cute/baby general? :tw_blush:

:ny-tough:

Before watching her introduce herself I read her name as 'Zhu-You' based on how it was spelt and looking back now I'm really embarrassed about it xD I can pronounce it correctly now so that's it I guess ~

If I were to put it in the best way possible for English-native speakers it is pronounced like this:

"Joe - Zi - Yoowe"

周 - 子 - 瑜

Just use Google Translate's pronunciation of it, it's fine.

Source: I speak Chinese/Mandarin/Whatever you want to call it

Edited by kasul

On 11/18/2015 at 4:25 PM, TJ said:

Actually Chewy is not Tzuyu's best nickname... Toyo is.

*waits for someone to edit a pic of Tzuyu into a pic of a soy sauce bottle*

568babe98beed_tzuyusoysauce.png.3b9316fd

• Upvote 4

Awards

Just now, JooWeed said:

568babe98beed_tzuyusoysauce.png.3b9316fd

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO

FINALLY

AFTER MORE THAN A MONTH

3 minutes ago, TJ said:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO

FINALLY

AFTER MORE THAN A MONTH

I guess it was worth the wait. :sn-cutie:

Awards

22 minutes ago, TJ said:

lol was that yours?

or you PSed it yourself? xD

I just got a pic online then I cropped her face lol.

Awards

I generally use the Chinese pronunciation, since I'm Chinese it sounds more natural (also I never use Chewy because all my friends think I'm creepy af when I saw it out loud)

Hahaha honestly when I first saw her name, I was like..."Tzu-you"?...Then I heard "Chewy"...I was like...Isn't she Taiwanese?