• Announcements

• Tzumongie

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!   12/30/2017

As we celebrate the New Year, We wish everyone success, a healthy long life and a fresh new start. Happy New Year! - TEAM TWICE <3  

Welcome, Guest!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Alex97

[TZUYUIST] Tzuyu's Name Pronounciation

8 hours ago, 0718 said:

I've always pronounced it as Tzu-You though XD I feel like I've received some sort of epiphany on how to pronounce her name.

I started out calling her that way and then I realised that I actually know the correct pronunciation and was being an idiot for like a month lmao

Joohee sounds pretty but I've been pronouncing it Chewy or Zu-you. I feel like I need get it right so I just don't talk about her irl or I play the pronoun game or just say "I really like the Taiwanese member of Twice" and have other people say it wrong when talking about her

My first pronunciation was Zu-yu and then Su-yi . Every Once fans in our school is laughing at me :( :ny-look:

Awards

On 11/17/2015 at 9:17 PM, Alex97 said:

Tell me Honestly.... HONESTLY..

How did you pronounce Tzuyu's name when you first saw/read it? Cause I'm pretty sure I failed hard.

I pronounced it as 'TZU - YOU' (My friends were even making fun of me saying that it sounds like 'Toyo' (soy sauce in tagalog) lol)

Don't get me wrong, I know how to read hangul, I was just doubting myself cause the English romanization is different from it's Hangul form.

In a few hours, I started pronouncing it as 'Chewy' and another few more hours finally! 'Jjeuwi'

It was such an adventure just trying to learn how to pronounce a name.

And then I heard someone say about Tzuyu's Pinyin and how you actually read it.. then I got confused again OTL

Then I found this on OH:

Taiwanese: Pronounced Zu-yu

Chinese Characters/Mandarin: Pronounced Zi-yu

Hangul: Pronounced like Joo - Hee

Apparently... Chewy/Joohee is her nickname... wow... -a moment o realization-

Haha Pano nag end up sa Toyo? hahahah :sn-lol:

Awards

On 11/6/2016 at 3:36 PM, Regor said:

I've always pronounced it like you, how the letters sound TZU-U, i make emphasis with all the letters xD

Same here and when i started watching their show i learn that it pronounce as chewy 

but still using either of the both :ty-lol:

Awards

Still taking time to practice calling her "Chewy".. I always call her "Tzu-Yu" sometimes lol :ty-tt:

Awards

I speak Mandarin Chinese, so I started out using her Chinese name at first. After listening to it a few times, and because I know enough Korean to pronounce it right, I use her Korean pronunciation as well. So now I use the two interchangeably, depending on my fancy/the mood/context. 

I do get how this would be very difficult to pronounce for people who only speak English or other languages that are not Mandarin or Korean. The romanisation of her name "Tzuyu" is of her Mandarin Chinese name, but because you'll mostly hear the Korean pronunciation of her name on shows and by other Twice members (language differences again), it gets very confusing. The romanisation of the Korean version of her name would be something like "Jjeuwi", which many English speakers would pronounce similarly to "Chewy". It is in fact, as mentioned before by others, a nickname, but used in Korea because they can't pronounce her Mandarin name.  Furthermore, English speakers are taught to read and speak in certain ways, but those rules don't apply to a Mandarin name so much, which makes it hard for them to pick it up. 

I pronounce it the Korean way bc that's how I usually hear it~

At first though, can't remember how I prounounced Tzuyu but probably 100% butchered it lol

:ny-look:

1 hour ago, DesTinY2324 said:

I prefer tzuyu's name in chinese(I'm chinese,LOL)but chewy sounds so cute<3:ty-hehe:

Same! I use both Chinese and Korean but I started out preferring the Chinese version. I kinda think the way native English speakers say her name (romanised/Chinese, not Korean) sometimes sounds weird though. Because they try to pronounce "Tzu-yu" phonetically, it is really off. At least Chewy isn't so bad. xD 

Just now, Amethyst Dreamer said:

Same! I use both Chinese and Korean but I started out preferring the Chinese version. I kinda think the way native English speakers say her name (romanised/Chinese, not Korean) sometimes sounds weird though. Because they try to pronounce "Tzu-yu" phonetically, it is really off. At least Chewy isn't so bad. xD 

LOL ,I feel you,they sounds really weird.Maybe they don't really know how to spell the word"Tzu".In Korea, they call her Joohee??Cos when I was watching TWICE EPL,Tzuyu was wearing a fan-given shirt with the name Joohee on it.Heck,I think I'm gonna go with Chewy or maybe her chinese pronunciation"Zi-yu":ny-yes:

Awards

1 minute ago, DesTinY2324 said:

LOL ,I feel you,they sounds really weird.Maybe they don't really know how to spell the word"Tzu".In Korea, they call her Joohee??Cos when I was watching TWICE EPL,Tzuyu was wearing a fan-given shirt with the name Joohee on it.Heck,I think I'm gonna go with Chewy or maybe her chinese pronunciation"Zi-yu":ny-yes:

Yeah, Joo-hee is like a nickname of sorts/Korean pronunciation of her Chinese name that some fans use.

36 minutes ago, Amethyst Dreamer said:

Yeah, Joo-hee is like a nickname of sorts/Korean pronunciation of her Chinese name that some fans use.

Ooo...I thought that they spelled her name wrong.:ny-lol:  It sounds just the same as Chewy???

Awards

8 minutes ago, DesTinY2324 said:

Ooo...I thought that they spelled her name wrong.:ny-lol:  It sounds just the same as Chewy???

Yeah, it does, which is probably why some of them use it. ^^ :ny-yes:

39 minutes ago, Amethyst Dreamer said:

Yeah, it does, which is probably why some of them use it. ^^ :ny-yes:

Ooo....I see.I gained a lot of knowledge today.Thank you,master:dh-lol::jh-gj:

Awards

48 minutes ago, DesTinY2324 said:

Ooo....I see.I gained a lot of knowledge today.Thank you,master:dh-lol::jh-gj:

Haha, I'm no master. Just happen to know a few things. xD

39 minutes ago, Amethyst Dreamer said:

Haha, I'm no master. Just happen to know a few things. xD

LOL,just kidding.Haha,but you sure know quite a lot:sn-lub:

Awards

Just now, DesTinY2324 said:

LOL,just kidding.Haha,but you sure know quite a lot:sn-lub:

You know a bit when you've been a K-pop fan since 2009, and have interest in learning about the industry and culture. xD